Friday, January 26, 2007

Discount Lines: Gold or Gimmick

Like every broke fashionista, I've gotten excited about the Victor and Rolf, Luella, Paul & Joe ect. lines. Like every broke fashionista, I loyally went to the stores to check out the designers' wears...unlike most I refused to get up and wait in lines...mornings just aren't my thing. Unlike most broke fashionistas, Bazaar, teenVogue, Lucky, and Paper I'm always disappointed by the lines. Don't get me wrong. I love high street stores like H&M, Forever 21, and Urban but I always find the "designer" lines to be rather uninspiring. After going to H&M for Victor and Rolf and Target for Luella I ended up buying clothes from the stores regular lines. Maybe I get my hopes up b/c of the names behind the clothing. Often the designer duds for high street are similar to runway versions with a few different details. But details make or break the clothing. A few subtle tweaks can ruin a piece. The Proenza clothes are adorable but ordinary, most fashionistas already have the skinny jeans, drape dress, blazer, and bermudas. The one exception is this beautiful coat.



and corset. Although, I'm scared to buy them b/c everyone will know where their from and I hate that. Maybe these lines aren't made to appeal to the fashinistas. With the exception of the Stella McCartney line I question if high end designers can do high street effectively. Is this clothing all that people are making it out to be or ordinary duds with designer names? Target is setting up a special store in the Village for a few days only. I doubt that i'll drag myself downtown and wait in line for it. Here is a link for the rest of the looks.http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/fashion/go-international/album.aspx?id=2628
Start planning now or you'll have to pay triple price on ebay once the vultures get to them.
*I changed the color on some of the outfits to add a little spice.
**Interesting side note: do you know the designers got their big break when one of them ran into Ana Wintour at an airport...yup it's true Keep your eyes open during your next flight.

No comments: